Thursday, November 7, 2013

Wednesday Update

As you last heard Daddy fell asleep while writing another page of Delaney's story because he was so tired. That sleep Mommy and Daddy were hoping for we did not get, we only got 3 hours of sleep. Delaney vomited again last night and was very restless, and medications still had to be given. She was uncomfortable due to the chemotherapy still, and the fact that her blood counts are so low. Mommy, Daddy and Delaney rested on the couch, where we could look outside, and waited for the sun to rise. It has become Delaney's "new thing" to point out when it is light outside and says "sun come out". Why you may ask, well, because we are up almost everyday before the sun comes up and we try to use it as leverage to not get up until the sun gets up. But it makes us laugh because all of a sudden she realizes it is not dark anymore and is so excited to point it out to us. This morning it was time for another blood draw, and drive to Walnut Creek to process the blood. The counts today are important. They will decide if she will need a blood transfusion, and how many white cells there are to see if harvesting can begin tomorrow. The results came back quick almost by the time Daddy got home, the results arrive via email and we can look at the numbers and try to anticipate what the oncologist will say. The oncologist called us and said in fact she does need a blood transfusion, and her white counts are not up high enough for harvesting. The doctor also said we will have to wait for a call to come in for the blood transfusion because their beds are all full. In the mean time, Delaney's home health muse came by to assess her. Delaney is doing ok today, she is extremely tired (due to low blood cell count), has a low grade fever that we hope does not spike, and we can just see that she does not feel well. We gave Delany all the opportunity to rest and not use her energy, she slept a lot today. It is now almost 4pm and we are still waiting to be called to go to Oakland blood. We are packing our bags, just in case. Finally a call at 530 they have a bed for us to be admitted to, Delaney needs a room to her self, she can have no contact with any other patients, because she is neutropenic. It is now 7pm we are in her room planning out what medications she still needs, and waiting for the blood to come. Once the blood gets here, it is a 4-5 hour transfusion. We must also do 2 cap changes in her Broviac before we go home. We will not expect to be discharged between 12 am and 1 am tonight to head back home, we will have been up for almost 24 hours, with only a 20-30 min nap here or there. It will be a long night. It is safer for Delaney to be at home when she is neutropenic rather than at the hospital with a higher potential for infection. Theses are the long days, these are the days were you have run out of fuel, you run out of fumes to burn, you have nothing left, except for the love of your child, and then you realize just how far you can go. Delaney has held her own today, she remains fierce, that is one thing chemotherapy cannot kill. Thank you for all the prayers, love and support. As always .... GO TEAM DELANEY!!!

"And though she be but LITTLE, she is FIERCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment