Friday, October 25, 2013

Thursday Update and Progress:

Delaney is a early riser these day, but has been sleeping well through the night. Uneventful nights are a good thing. Delaney had two appointments today, and no matter what the appointment is, there will always some level of stress involved for Mommy and Daddy. Off to Oakland we go, the two appointments today were a renogram and an audiology test, for her hearing. The renogram is a procedure that tests the function of her kidneys. This test begins by administering a small dose of radioactive dye through Delaney's Broviac. The dye, once in the blood stream makes it's way to the kidneys and the test begins, and Delaney must remain still for 30 minutes, thankfully today she was taking a nap during the test. Otherwise she would have to be strapped down or distracted. Over the course of the next 30 minutes the radioactive dye is picked up by X-Ray and you can see the dye being filtered through the kidneys in actual time, this tests the function of the kidneys. It is important to test Delaney's kidneys after each cycle of chemotherapy because of the chemotherapy her body is receiving and the kidneys must filter out. She will pass this radioactive dye over the next day or so so gloves must be worn when we change her diapers, this is also true with her chemotherapy. One down, on to audiology. Of all the tests she has been through the audiology test is the least stressful and straight forward. In each ear, at separate times, the doctor places an ear bud in Delaney's ear. Then Over the course of 20 seconds or so sounds are projected inward and the test reveals how her ear receives the sounds. The doctor said that both ears are working good. Once again Delaney's hearing is monitored after each cycle of chemotherapy because of the potential side effects, one of them being hearing loss. Once back at home Delaney wanted to be off the couch, wanted to play, wanted to go outside, wanted to hold brother, and wanted to try to walk (mind you, Delaney cannot not walk or even stand yet). But the key word is, wanted, she wanted to do more today. She felt the need to try to walk, so Daddy held her upright, and she went through the motions of walking, one foot in front if the other, they were not coordinated movements but she was excited about the idea, as were Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, and Grandpa. Delaney spent the rest if the evening playing, picking at food here and there, and resting for the week to come. Mommy and Daddy are so proud of her progress, one foot in front of the other.

As a family we have been wanting to to share some exciting news, but we have hesitated, due to the constant daily obstacles we face emotionally and physically. When we were given the news that our daughter Delaney had a cancerous brain tumor, we were already expecting our third child, Mommy was 9 weeks pregnant at the time of diagnosis. To date, Janice is 15 weeks pregnant, and healthy. Through out Delaney's intense recovery and treatment. We also have had to find time to allow for Janice to make all of her prenatal appointments, ultrasounds, and lab draws. Wonder, where Delaney gets some if her Fierceness from? Thank you for all the prayers, support, and love. As always........ GO TEAM DELANEY!!!!

"And though she be but LITTLE she is FIERCE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment